Monday, September 9, 2013

Thoughts on a Monday: A-K

Alcatraz.
Someone gave me a book about training for an Alcatraz swim. This may need to happen in 2014.

Big Kahuna.
This past Sunday, I participated in the Splash and Dash for the Big Kahuna (1.2 mile swim/6.2 mile run) in Santa Cruz. It was my first time to swim around the Santa Cruz Wharf, and the first time I've swum 1.2 miles since Barb's race. I slammed an energy shot about 15 minutes before the start, and man, I was pumped. I also had one of my better 10k times! So, a good day. After the race, I spent some time on the course, helping at our tri club aid station. (They should really invent a water fountain that squirts water directly into your mouth as you run by. Lots of wasted paper cups.) So inspired by the triathlon community! What awesome people out there on the 70.3 course!

Chicago Marathon.
Of course this should be at the top of the list. So far the experiment is going OK. I'm setting aside a couple days a week to swim and bike instead of running 5-6 days a week. I feel much better on the 20 mile training runs than I did last year. Thank the athletic Gods! 

December.
I just turned 34. I am a bona fide adult with a retirement plan, crossover SUV, and I may have joined a professionals "club." Holy shit. How did this happen? In triathlon years, I will be joining the 35-39 age group on December 31st. Women in this category are beasts! I will need to work harder to keep up with them. I have absolutely no events planned for December, or any of next year. I will again allow myself to eat cheese and drink wine. Even if I tell myself I will gain rock hard abs in December while everyone else is gaining 5-15 pounds, it will not happen. It never does.

Eating.
I ate a package of Ritz Crackers this weekend. They are over-processed and delicious.

Fall.
I am sad about the end of summer. Part of me is excited to wear cardigans, but the other part realizes that with sweater season comes dark skies and an inability to ride my bike after work. It's already dark when I wake up. This makes me very sad, and very sleepy. And, just because I don't have children doesn't mean that their going back to school doesn't affect me!! The traffic really sucks lately.

G.
What up, G?

Havasu.
I'm registered for another 70.3 at Lake Havasu on November 9th. It was $75 and I couldn't keep my wallet closed for this fantastic deal (most half Ironman-distance races are $300+). This is an auxiliary event. Or maybe I'll change it up and do the Olympic and that will be an auxiliary event. My season of PRs is probably over (except the Marathon...). Events for the rest of the year are Just. For. Fun. Promise.

iPod. 
I need new music. Especially for the marathon. Help! Oddly, the band Boston is on my list to download.

J.
The man I love.

Kelp.
Next weekend I'm doing the Pacific Grove Sprint Triathlon (.25 mile swim, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run). I gotta check to see if those fast-twitch type II muscles are still working. This is the famous "kelp crawl" swim that I always say, "It's not a swim - it's a water adventure!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment