Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thinking about babies. (Not what you're expecting.)

Get it? Expecting. . .

This half Ironman is currently my baby. Perhaps like parenting (I have never been a parent) training this baby has often exhilarating, exhausting, wonderful, confusing, best time ever, and totally time-consuming.

I am constantly toting around a ton of gear and equipment needed for my baby. I have to take this stuff everywhere, and my car is total mess.

I post updates on Facebook about my baby.

I take photos of things related to my baby and post them on Facebook, but only if I look good in the picture.

I receive unsolicited advice from other parents (athletes) about how I should train, what I should wear, and the best apps and books.

I schedule "playdates" with other people and their babies: long bike rides, runs, and open water swims.

Babies are expensive. They need food, doctor's visits (bike repair shop), and education (trainers, gym memberships).

I feel like I neglect, or can't concentrate on the people I love.
I miss my baby or feel guilty if I'm away for a day.

I get up early, and pass out on the couch before 10pm.

It is thrilling to see my baby progress, and it gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

My baby is growing. Years ago it was 1 mile long, now it's 70.2 miles long.

My baby has made me weigh more than I'd like to weigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment