Thursday, April 11, 2013

Know Thyself

The Napa HITS triathlon is this weekend. I feel different than I did about this race last year, but I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

In a lot of ways, I'm much more prepared this year. I've logged 810 training miles since January 1st, including 586 on the bike alone. Last year I logged 420. After more miles of swim drills, and running track workout, you would think the swim and run portions would be a bit easier this year too. Also, last year it hailed and rained the day before the triathlon. This year, it is supposed to be a high of 75 degrees.

All of this should make a big difference, but I still struggle with Susan (my alter ego) who tells me I didn't get into the open water enough this year, or I didn't do enough bike to run drills. She has been pretty nasty this week. I'm also not feeling 100% in my legs after the marathon this year. Yeah, the one back in January.

Perhaps my greatest thoroughfare this year is Knowing Thyself. I've done this triathlon thing - a few times - and I have a pretty good idea of how I will react. In fact, I've been on this course now and know what to expect. I/Susan will freak out in the first 5 minutes in the water and feel unworthy of the task ahead of me. I will work harder on the hills because, compared to 56 miles, 25 should feel like cake (right?). I will get some leg cramps in the first couple miles of the run, but then relax and enjoy, especially on the last downhill.

Last year, Napa HITS was the warm up to the rest of the season. This year, I should be able to nail this thing. Maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself and I need to care less. That tends to be when I'm at my best - comfortable. In order to do that, I need to shut Susan down. She is a mean and spiteful biatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment