Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mmm, gonna try with a little help from my friends.

Friends are the best. Wine sometimes helps too. Probably not on a bike ride though . . . damn.
My first real bike ride was about three years ago. I went with a group from my gym spin class who said they were doing a casual ride, only to find out that the route was over 40 miles (my first real bike ride ever). I was completely unprepared: no proper shoes, no food, and no idea how fast 16 miles an hour is. Also a few years back, a friend encouraged me to run St. Joseph's Hill with him. "We'll run the flat part," he said. I could have killed him, and he was confused because I was such a good runner. Because of these friends, I'm a much better cyclist and the trails don't bother me anymore.

Nowadays, I make people suffer too. And they like it.

Hell hath frozen over - My boyfriend bought a road bike. I'm not sure what happened, but we were in the bike store buying a tire pump (for me), and suddenly he's riding around the parking lot on a blue and white Trek, buying shoes and pedals and even padded shorts. On his third day out, he rode up Shannon Road (not an easy hill). It's amazing what he remembers and what he is capable of when he hasn't ridden a bike in over a decade. Sure, it's more difficult than it used to be, but once you remember what that steep climb feels like, it doesn't really leave you.

It's kind of like riding a bike. . . Bu-dum *ching*

Two weekends ago, I got the opportunity to test out the Barb's course route with a group of regular 70.3 racers - some of whom are doing the Vineman 70.3 and some doing Barb's Race. (A pic of me in front of my favorite winery above.) I thought it would be fun to invite my regular tri buddies, L & M, to do the course up in Sonoma wine country with this knowledgable group. L & M obligied to get up at 4am and ride 60 miles. Did I mention it was 113 degrees that day? Yeah. I thought maybe L would try to eat my eyeballs out. She did not.

This past weekend, I asked my Foster City swim friends if they wanted to hit the green lagoon with me. It was cooler than normal, the wind created more of a current than usual, and the water had been freshly douced with algae tablets, which made the lagoon a bluish-green and taste absolutely fantastic. Ugh.

"Do you know how much we must like you because we are doing this with you?"

It was then I realized, "Man, people do like me!" I should go into sales because I clearly have the ability to make people want to suffer with me. Or maybe I should have gone into the military. Or maybe I'm a glutton for punishment too.

This weekend, a group of us are going to suffer at San Francisco's Aquatic Park together. It looks like the water is hovering around 57 degrees. Looking forward to eating algae! YAY!

So, thank you friends for the mutual suffering!  Here's to hills, heat, algae, and friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment